Today’s links of interest:
- A Mite Too Radical?
A look at a "radical" suggestion that people support independent booksellers, and an honest assessment of how boycotting Amazon isn’t the answer.
- Longtime Times Book Review Senior Editor Dwight Garner to Join Kakutani and Maslin in Daily Paper
Interesting and strange.
- Opening press conference 2008
Texts of speeches from the opening days of the Frankfurt Book Fair. Compare and contrast Paulo Coehlo with Gottfried Honnefelder, wonder who is living in the modern world.
- What Would Tod Goldberg Do?
Normally, we’d link to this because Jane picks up on the blogging/women/opinion theme we discussed last week, but…well, the real reason we’re linking is because we love to see the words "Tod Goldberg" in a headline.
- DZANC Books – WRITE_A_THON
As always, we love to bring you news from the Dzanc gang. In these tough economic times, the need for creative fundraising is greater than ever before. Consider joining in on the Dzanc write-a-thon to help support the great books and great programs this non-profit is known for.
- Reaching for a Higher Profile, Abu Dhabi Opens a Hub for Western Media
Or, do you know the way to Abu Dhabi? Sorry, couldn’t resist.
- ‘Staggering’ Library Book Thefts
This is a crime that must be stopped!
- In Defense of Piracy
Lawrence Lessig on the stifling of creativity, via antiquated law.
- Mainstream News Outlets Start Linking to Other Sites
No, seriously, this was written yesterday.
- S&S Signs with Global Reader
eBooks will be available on web-enabled mobile devices (does that mean iPhones, too?).
- Booksellers Race to Add Financial-Advice Titles
Now is the time to get those financial meltdown books to market — a year from now, we’ll be on to the next crisis.
- Joe Wikert Joins O’Reilly Media as General Manager, O’Reilly Technology Exchange
Maga-congratulations to Joe!