Today’s links of interest:
- Writers Recommend…
Norton authors offer up suggestions for holiday books.
- Ask Nicola: I have a dream
FoBS Nicola Griffith expands upon her writer/publisher co-op idea. She has a dream…how to make it real?
- The eBook Tax: Some Publishers Want Hardcover Prices to Be Ebook Pricing Standard
File under: They. Just. Don’t. Get. It. Jane at Dear Author points out the, uh, absolute idiocy of some publishing professionals. PS: pub professionals — read the comments. These are your customers talking to you in a big way.
- Sony Sells 300,000 Digital Readers: E-Book Comparisons
Interesting. Looks like there are a few people out there who have bought into the ebook concept.
- Salon Book Awards 2008
For those looking to bolster their holiday shopping lists.
- Tribune Co. files for bankruptcy protection
And it’s official.
- Margo Hammond and Ellen Heltzel: The First Lady’s Guide to Writing a Bestselling Memoir
The Book Babes consider the potential for Laura Bush’s memoir (and, thank you!, question the wisdom of an million advance in today’s publishing economy. Or any publishing economy.).
- PW?s Person of the Year: Jeff Bezos
We’ll buy him a beer at next year’s SXSW.
- The 26th Story: Q&A with former Random House EIC Dan Menaker
Nice Q&A. And we’d like to note (as an aside) that we’re loving what 26th Story is doing as a blog. It’s like we had a wish come true.
- Penguin Launches Penguin 2.0, iPhone App; Stanza Deal with Random
Penguin USA gets their innovation on with Penguin 2.0, which includes a partnership with our friends SharedBook.
- Inherent Vice: Thomas Pynchon preps new novel – The Ampersand
Note to Kirk: new Pynchon. Your reading list is growing.
- Firebrand Technologies and Rosetta Solutions Launch Joint Venture: NetGalley LLC Under Firebrand Management
Uh, after that headline, we have nothing additional to add.
- DZANC Books – The Dzanc Prize
The 2008 Dzanc winner is Kodi Scheer. Mega-congratulations for rising to the top of such a great list and finding favor with such discerning minds.
- The Inigo Montoya Guide to 27 Commonly Misused Words
Copyblogger offers some useful tips, reminds us irregardless isn’t a word, and continues the who/whom fight (really, a lost cause, he agree). We would add "backwards" to his list as well…
- Book Club Trouble Often Has Little to Do With Books
Ah, finding the right book club is not easy…but when you do, it’s quite often the best night of the month. Once you peel away all the silliness, there are some interesting points about the hows and whys of book clubs and why they thrive.
- Random House Publishing Group Makes Free Titles Available on Lexcycle’s Stanza Reader
In a bit of good news for Random House, they’re partnering with Lexcycle/Stanza to release free books (backlist titles) from their authors.
- Crafting Successful Crime Fiction: How to Write the Action (Online Course)
Author Seth Harwood leads a class in writing successful crime fiction. Register, participate, learn!
- Tribune possible bankruptcy
You gotta love this — Sam Zell can’t make his interest payments. Who didn’t see that one coming?